Thursday, August 7, 2008

roomy dilemma

Last night- after guzzling a 6 pack of beer, my roommate started talking.

So he was married. has 2 little girls.
His ex-wife, he said, had a series of boyfriends ( reminds me of my own ex!) during their marriage. As he spoke about his life, I realized, he is depressed. He had hid it well - considering that we live under the same roof, and talk to each other every day.
In fact, I got a hint earlier that day itself - he had bagged a high paying job offer earlier that day; but there was no celebratory spirit. Instead there was just a wallowing in sorrow in the evening.

"I told her not to go once" he said. "but she said her boyfriend is waiting".
"I was drunk - she thought I won't even remember. But I know she was gone for 3 hours while I was alone at home."

Its the first time I heard my friend speak straight from the heart. Though this was heart rending to hear, I am happy he mentioned what was on his mind.

I believe that the first step to resolving depression is to talk to someone. This simple step is often the toughest one to take. I am glad my roomy started talking. Now I can understand him better and at least try to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment