Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tech Jargon

Techies love jargon words.
Being a techie, I find myself using many such words, and then encountering blank stares.
So I thought, why not elucidate? Here's a small list of Jargon words from my IT world. Go ahead and add to this list with your own jargon words!

- Timebox (e.g. 'Lets timebox this discussion to 5 minutes'):
senseq: Lets cut this crap we're talking after 5 minutes.
dictionary: Limit the discussion to 5 minutes.

- Sleeping Giant (e.g. 'A sleeping giant caused the server blowout'):
senseq: I didn't cause this, it was always there
dictionary: An issue which was always there, but came up only now because of the special condition.

- Same Page (e.g. 'Are we on the same page'):
senseq: You are making no sense. Either you're really stupid or we're talking about different things.
dictionary: Lets make sure we're talking about the same thing.

- Keep me in the loop (e.g. 'Please loop me in on this issue'):
senseq: Don't you go talking behind my back. I want to know what you have to say about this.
dictionary: Please involve me in any conversation around this topic

- Email warfare/Flaming (e.g. 'I'd rather avoid email warfare'):
senseq: Lets avoid kicking each other's butts on emails.
dictionary: I'd rather avoid angry email exchanges


No comments:

Post a Comment