Thursday, June 7, 2007

Niagara Falling

Yes, so we did the typical Indian thing.
Wife and I. Another couple. Four of us Indians... headed to Niagara falls. Memorial day weekend.
DARNED! The whole place is full of Indians! Where did so many Indians come from! Did all the Indians in the US decide to descend in that weekend? From what I hear, that's not the case. Niagara is a perennial spot for Indians.
Apart from the plethora of Indian restaurants, what really "blew me" - was the fact that you would see not only the American and Canadian flags, but also the Indian flag flapping in the wind.

So where did so many Indians come from? Why at Niagara? Well I have done some investigations, and have found that another natural wonder - the Grand Canyon - is also overflowing with Indian tourists.

In another blog, I found a theory about two types of Indians - 1. A bunch of guys who decided to jump in a car and go to Niagara. 2. A married Indian husband bringing his wife and parents (possibly in-laws) to see the falls.
I believe there exists a third group - the newly married Indian who wants to show his wife something spectacular. I belong to this group.

So by this time, it should be an established fact that there are a lot of Indians at Niagara. I'm not particularly proud of my nationals swarming the holiday spot... but here's something I found snooty - there were language translations into French and Spanish, but there weren't any translations into Hindi or any of the Indian languages. I can understand the desire to be hospitable to Canadian neighbours coming to see the falls - but I can't understand how the large throngs of Indians are completely ignored in translating for the tourists.

No comments:

Post a Comment